Sunday, January 31, 2016

Considering Genre



Well, after knowing for a while now, I will now publicly declare my genre of choice for my first English project. Don't get too excited now...


The Big Reveal

Wikiwatcher1 "Studio Publicity Still for Film Daddy Long Legs" 12/31/1954 via Wikipedia. Public Domain
It's a quick reference guide (QRG).  My reasoning by choosing this genre is simple: it looks like something that is easier for me.  Now before you think I'm a slacker, let me justify myself!  I personally want to start off with a genre that I think would be easier for me to construct so that I can get a feel for how we will proceed with the projects in class.  This way I learn and have to worry more about what is wanted in terms of actual material, and not how figure out how to work some piece of technology other than a computer.


Goals, so many goals

My main goal for the production phase is information organization.  I like the way QRGs use bold subheadings to organize the content and guide the reader easily through the story.  My goal is to figure out what the headings should be, and how they are situated in order for the project to as reader friendly as possible.  I also want to find clever ways to incorporate pictures and pull quotes, so that they are cohesive within the QRG.  The pictures are important so that the audience can relate more to the main stakeholders in the argument.  The pull almost will act like a summary or overall theme of certain paragraphs, so that it's almost like a little hint for the reader.

And I'll develop those white spaces because, you know, I absolutely adore the clean look they give to the articles.


And my feelings?

I'm pretty confident that I will be able to do a pretty good job on this project.  Although I've never done a QRG, it is more writing oriented, which I have more experience in.  However, this intense sounding production week falls over the top of my lovely Chemistry 152 test on Friday.  I anticipate that his week will be a little more hectic than most, and that time management will be key. Another difficult part, pertaining more to the project,  will simply be formatting for me.  Making something that is tasteful and still eye-catching is something I find a little challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment